Saturday, August 12, 2006

MY DAD AND HIS COOKING
Well everybody has a story to tell when it comes to thier Dad's cooking , I am no different . This experience is good for some while bad for others . In my case its a mix of both . Now, my dad is not a great cook but he is not too bad either but , there is more to men's cooking than just good and bad. When women cook ,especially i can tell you about my mom ,they take care of everybody's taste but for men their is only one person they wish to satisfy - themselves . That is true for my dad too so ,his food is usually loaded with salt and spices . He overdoes every ingredient . I don't dislike spicy food but unlike my dad there is a limit to the amount of garam masala and red chilli i can handle in one meal . Although my mom tries to keep the flow of masalas into check , but it's to no avail . More father gets excited about the meal ,more I try
to get mom into the sceam of things , So she can salvage whatever is left . After few minutes of defiance my mother gives into my dads whims and we end up eating a meal coming out of my dad's ACME kitchen . Thankfully , my dad only cook's on holidays and we usually have more options like Dahi , pickle etc kind of acting like a buffer . After a bit of struggle we find the right combination of dad's creation and 'buffer' that is palpable . Kind of makes me wonder about 'where there is a will there is a way ' . At the end of the meal I pray that Dad somehow get's over his love for too much spices . Next on the menu ' My brother , cook that never was ' bye .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey me gets the ditto experience at home when mom is out on vacation or something...even my dad is way too obsessed with the spicyness of his meals :D
but sometimes he comes up with really tasty and palatable dishes.